Every night, millions of individuals from our planet are experiencing the same and well-known problem – insomnia. Some are counting sheep, others resort to taking sleeping pills. Nowadays many people prefer using CBD. How will taking CBD oil affect sleep and can it be helpful? Learn more about CBD, its benefits and potential use for sleep problems.
Everyone knows how essential sleep and its quality is for an organism. It affects daily productivity, energy and mood, immune system functioning and overall well-being.
Sleep issues can be a short-term problem as well as a prolonged struggle, which, to no one’s surprise, can deteriorate health and prevent the sufferer from living happily.
The need to have sufficient sleep hours can potentially lead to sleeping pills addiction. Consequently, it may cause dangerous side effects such as dizziness or drowsiness during the daytime, and potentially contribute to mortality risk.
CBD can be a more natural alternative to traditional sleeping pills. Today, it’s exceptionally trendy due to its effectiveness and variety of benefits. CBD is a natural remedy that can help maintain health without any risks of severe adverse effects or reactions.
The CBD market is represented by a vast amount of products with various CBD concentrations to fulfil people’s needs – from oils and lotions to vape pens and even edible products. CBD based products can potentially help patients to manage different forms of diseases and ailments. However, let’s first get the answer to the main question: what is CBD?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is an active botanical chemical that is found primarily in Cannabis Sativa plants. CBD is a non-addictive compound from a special group of similar components extracted from hemp. There are more than 100 naturally occurring ingredients called cannabinoids, which may be useful for many disorders.
CBD doesn’t possess psychoactive qualities, which eliminates risks of “high” or euphoric effects, as well as any form of intoxication. Such reactions can be caused by high doses of another infamous cannabinoid Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Although CBD products can sometimes contain levels of THC chemicals, the low concentration doesn’t get users “high”, which ensures a safe treatment.
CBD is a widely used remedy due to its safety and purity, including a vast amount of advantages and uses. CBD affects cannabinoid receptors in the body due to the ongoing effects of cannabinoids and the production of a broad spectrum of chemical and physiological responses. CBD is fast becoming a popular treatment for both physical and mental diseases, including the following problems:
- CBD for anxiety. After consumption, cannabinoid receptors send signals to the brain to decrease feelings of concern and calm the mind.
- CBD for depression. Cannabidiol can be taken as a natural antidepressant, that can provide relief in cases of depressive disorders and mental imbalances.
- CBD for sleep. CBD can regulate the sleep cycle and abnormal awakenings at night.
- CBD for pain. CBD oil is an effective method to reduce pain, muscle tension, and various types of chronic aches. CBD can reduce extreme inflammation and prevent pain flow in the body.
- Other uses. CBD may be useful for issues, such as nicotine withdrawal, epilepsy, diabetes, acne, and other dermatologic conditions. Furthermore, cannabidiol might ease the symptoms of cancer and Parkinson’s disease.
This makes CBD worth considering as a beneficial solution for people that need clear-headed support to alleviate the symptoms of many disorders.
There are a few reasons why people face severe difficulties to fall asleep.
First of all, sleep issues can be caused by mental imbalances (depression, anxiety, PTSD), prescribed medicines, caffeinated drinks, and irritating external factors such as noise or bright light.
Another reason can be pain or chronic aches that prevent rest and restful sleep. This problem is especially relevant for professional athletes due to regular and intense training sessions, including painful post-workout recovery.
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) plays an essential role in regulating body functions, such as mood, appetite, and sleep. ECS includes a network of natural cannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors mainly present in the brain and central nervous system.
After consuming CBD, cannabinoids transmit signals in the brain, which can produce a variety of effects including calming down thought processes (useful for anxiety and panic attacks) and reducing pain. Our body can get those messages either from existing cannabinoids or external cannabinoids from CBD infused products.
Cannabinoids also attach to cannabinoid receptors which can potentially affect the sleep/wake cycle. CBD also interacts with receptors in the brain to decrease anxiety and aches, both of which can affect sleep quality. By reducing specific symptoms, CBD may improve the number of sleep hours and promote needed rest.
The CBD market offers various types, concentrations, and forms of CBD infused products. The choice of a specific product is based on individual preferences. Take your time to try out available CBD products and find the perfect one for you that meets your personal needs and boosts your health.
- CBD Edibles. Food products infused with CBD can be anything from gummies, cookies, and chocolate to protein powders and snacks. Furthermore, there are vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free variants mixed with natural ingredients and CBD compounds;
- CBD Vape Pens and Juices. Smoking distillate oil or CBD infused vape juice from a vaporiser ensures a fast effect of CBD benefits. You can inhale CBD oil from vape pens or vaping devices with a disposable or refillable cartridge. Also, there are disposable ready-to-use vape pens, that provide instant pain relief without a big financial commitment. Bear in mind: prolonged vaping may cause a negative influence on respiratory health.
- CBD Oils and Tinctures. A liquid form allows using the product as a supplement to food or beverages while enjoying CBD advantages. You can use a few oil drops when you cook desserts, make cocktails and any other meals.
- CBD Capsules and Tablets. Pills and capsules can provide the body with an accurately calculated daily dosage of CBD. Capsules don’t have any flavour or specific taste and can be easily and discreetly consumed, unlike oil intake when you need to place a dropper in the mouth;
- CBD Creams and Balms. Target topical application can provide fast absorption and effective treatment. Creams penetrate through the skin layers to help heal inflamed body parts.
CBD oil is usually a well-tolerated product, however, some consumers may face minor side effects such as dry mouth, diarrhoea, reduced appetite, tiredness, drowsiness, or weight changes. Also, CBD may cause negative reactions in cases of simultaneous intake with prescribed medications or supplements. Such consumption can reduce the advantages of either CBD or other medicine.
It’s advised to consult your doctor before taking CBD products and discuss potential drawbacks, adverse effects and allergic reactions to particular components in the composition.
Allowed THC limits in hemp and marijuana vary from one country to another, according to their laws and regulations.
In 2018, the Farm Bill reclassified hemp from a banned plant to an agricultural commodity in the United States. This means customers can purchase CBD based products with determined levels up to 0.3% of THC in their composition.
As for the EU regulations, manufacturers are permitted to cultivate industrial hemp on a legal basis only if it includes less than 0.2% THC. If the CBD product meets all standards and norms set by the government, it can be sold and purchased legally.
- Visit a doctor or medical specialist before starting treatment with CBD.
- Consume the lowest dose suggested on the product’s label and gradually increase the dosage until you experience a positive effect.
- Take your time before you increase the dosage to give your body enough time to get used to taking CBD.
- Don’t worry if you don’t experience results right away. People need different amounts of time to respond to medicine as well as CBD.
In conclusion, CBD can help to restore wellbeing and increase productivity while also managing pain. It can also provide relief from symptoms which can help the insomnia sufferer to experience a better quality of sleep.